Wednesday, September 9, 2020

3.4 The Race

Snow White, the 7 dwarfs, and an evil witch made their way in the dark skies with a coffee in one hand and running shoes in the other. Myself, Jeanette Scheidler, and 8 of my fellow friends were on their way to our first half marathon, Monster Dash, in St. Paul, Minnesota. As the race was on Halloween weekend of 2018 the race encouraged costumes. We committed to running 13.1 miles on that cool October day. 

"This might not have been one of my brightest ideas," I stated as we lined up with several other dressed up characters to start the race. After my third time using the porta-potty as my nerves were skyrocketed I decided it was too late now. Boom! The gun went blew and we were off. Pacers were running in between costume runners with signs showing the time you were running at. "If I could keep up with a sign I'll be okay," I told myself. 

Mile marker thirteen, twelve, eleven. I was still alive. Only ten miles left. On each side were spectators. "Snow White!", the kids in the audience would yell and point at me. I then felt obligated to wave at them and smile as if I were royalty. Homes, bridges, water, and the city were on each side as I plugged along like the "Little Engine that Could Train" I used to read as a child. 

My legs were starting to get tired. I needed to again use the restroom. I did not want to stop because it would slow me down. Thinking I would not be able to run another 5 miles like that I stopped. After I got back on the course I was again getting tired. I didn't know if it was my mind, legs, or body telling me this. A snack maybe was needed. I then literally "ate on the run". 

In this race, options were given to run a 5k, 10k, or 13.1 miles. I passed the literal dressed up characters exiting for the 10K finish line. I was jealous they were done. I then needed to pick up my mind and keep going. I now felt sick though. I kept running. Sitting on the pavement and quitting in the middle of St. Paul was not an option. I kept going. Another mile. Another mile again. Almost there. I felt really sick now. Legs weak. Nauseous. I can see the finish line. Everyone tends to cheer for racers at the finish line. The time was on the clock as I'd cross the electronic line and my number would be recorded. I feel sicker. I could not walk across the finish with everyone watching. Closer, and closer. I did it! I was so excited! Then, I wasn't. Snow white just tossed her cookies on the group. How "unprincess-like." The 7 dwarfs were supportive and the evil witch. 

I would always be known in the running community I am with as the Snow White who must have eaten a bad apple at the Monster Dash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment