Sunday, September 13, 2020

3.6 The Gift of a Hockey Memory

February 1, 2020, is a day I will never forget. I went to my first Boston Bruins hockey game against the Minnesota Wild two days before my 20th birthday with my mom and two friends, Elise and Charlotte. 

Let’s rewind back to Christmas 2019. My parents gave me four tickets to the Bruins vs. Wild game scheduled on February 1, 2020. I was beyond excited. My jaw dropped. The excitement on my face was there. Tears started flooding my eyes, happy tears I promise. I couldn’t believe they actually gave me tickets to this game. This was something I had randomly mentioned to my mom about wanting to go to. She wrote out a certificate stating the tickets and game information. Holding that certificate, I honestly couldn’t believe it. From that day on, this was something that I was constantly looking forward to. I’ve been to a few hockey games, and don’t get me wrong, they were so much fun. But this game was going to be different. This would be my first hockey game seeing the Bruins. From that day on and until the day of the game, the excitement I had was crazy! It was something I talked about every day. Some may say I was too excited. They aren't wrong, I was. The night before the game, something was missing. I had some bruins attire, but I didn’t have a jersey. That was something I had always wanted, especially for this game. That night, my parents gave me some early birthday gifts to get me ready for the game. They gave me a hat and a jersey of my favorite player. The facial expression I had when I opened my jersey present was the same as when I opened the gift of the tickets on Christmas. I knew now that I was set for the game.

 

The day came and I had never been more excited. I couldn’t sleep the night before. I had some homework to due before we went to the game, and that was pretty difficult to concentrate on, but the day went by fast. The drive to the game made everything more real. We had some time to kill before we could go inside the arena. It was the middle of the St. Paul Winter Carnival, and we had time to look around at the ice sculptures across the street.

 

Our tickets were Club seats, so we had the opportunity to enter the arena early. Since our tickets were club seats, we had the opportunity to enter the arena early. I felt pretty special being able to be inside before anyone else. It gave us time to start taking the whole atmosphere in before anyone everyone else. Being there and walking around felt much more different than any other hockey game I’ve been to. I can’t explain the feeling, but it was an amazing feeling. I loved every minute of it.

 

Seeing the players warm up and seeing them for real instead of on a TV screen, it felt like a dream come true. It really was a dream come true. That entire night, I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning. I can’t explain how happy I was because it felt so good being there especially with friends and my mom. There was a constant smile on my face throughout the entire night. It felt like a huge blur throughout the night, but like I said, I still remember it like it was yesterday. The Bruins played some amazing hockey and won the game 6-1. “Let’s go Bruins” was the popular chant from me that night. Goal after goal I screamed my heart out. I didn’t care if I was only one of three Bruins fans in my section, my heart was happy.  

 

Driving home that night, I was in awe. I was remembering every detail of that night because it truly was one of the best nights ever, and a night to remember. To this day, I still have flashbacks to that night especially if I’m ever having a bad day. “This was the best birthday present ever!” was what I told my mom that night when we got home from the game. Ever since I went to that game, I constantly want to relive that night. It definitely was a night to remember and I can’t wait to actually relive that night going to another game.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment