Wednesday, September 9, 2020

3.4 Growing Up and Growing Apart

My New Years' Eve Was A Wonderful Rollercoaster.

I only have a few memorable days in my life that I can give an actual date for, one of them was December 31, 2016. It may seem obvious that I would remember a holiday famous for making memorable moments but this particular one marked a big turning point in my life, it was the day I ended a four-year relationship. Now, it was not due to any big dramatic revelation or an overblown argument; no, it was just the result of months of unhappiness and tension. We were 19 when we met and despite being on the same page back then, by the time we were 23 we had grown into two very different, very incompatible people. By the time it was over I almost felt more relief than anguish, I knew it was the smart thing to do. It wasn't pleasant, but necessary things rarely are. 

Fortunately for me, however; the conversation leading up to the breakup had started midway through the morning. and I was walking out his front door by noon. I went straight to my best friend Sarahs' apartment and asked if I could hang out for a while, and told her the news. True to her character, she was adamant that I stay and watch Netflix with her until it was time for her dinner with our mutual friend, Adrienne. Which they both insisted I tag along for, they refused to let me be alone and were both determined to help me feel better.

"We have a reservation, just come with us I'm sure they won't mind!" exclaimed Sarah.

One wonderful meal of shrimp fettuccine later and my mood was already starting to improve, in no small part due to the great company I had with dinner and the message I received during. My old friend Jake was in town for the holiday and wanted me to join him and his group at a bar near our hometown. He had moved out of state for work and I rarely saw him anymore, so with some urging from Sarah and Adrienne, I agreed. 

By 8 p.m I was being greeted by hometown friends and watching the already inebriated bar goers try their best at karaoke. The rest of the night was pretty tame by the standards of New Year's Eve, but between the hugs and the laughs, I managed to welcome 2017 with open arms and a big smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment