Sunday, September 13, 2020

3.6 Best of Bad Luck

In July of 2019 I took a trip to Fort Lauderdale, Florida that I will never forget. Traveling to new places with my boyfriend, Andrew, is something we do often; but not well. We are dumb travelers (spontaneous, if you want to call it that). Us broke college students don't really have a choice. So, we packed our essentials, booked a cheap $60 flight in the middle of a hot Florida summer, with $250 to our names.

After our bumpy Spirit Airlines flight, we landed at the small Fort Lauderdale airport. From there, we took an expensive taxi ride over to our "not-as-pictured" hotel. We had to be 25 to check in. We were 21. After begging and pleading with the hotel manager to let us stay, he finally agreed! We headed up to our room to shower right away so we could go explore what Fort Lauderdale had to offer. The instant smell of must and marijuana filled our noses. At one point, the smells were so strong that we thought we were high! We were only going to be there for 3 days, so we decided to tough it out. I turned on the shower and nothing but a few drops of water came out. As on brand as this could possibly be, the city shut off the water because of a main pipe burst! No water for 3 days. Just me, my boyfriend, the stench of B.O and weed, and about $150. 

I sat and cried on the sunken-in hotel bed. I thought the trip was ruined. I even looked at early flights to get back home! I felt so bad that nothing was going right. Andrew decided to leave the room and come back 15 minutes later with a big bottle of wine and 2 sandwiches. We sat in our dingy room getting drunk and laughing about how we can tell our friends what not to do when planning a vacation. In the end, we made the best of the situation and we look back and laugh about how we will never go to Fort Lauderdale again.

No comments:

Post a Comment