Thursday, September 10, 2020

3.6 How I Meet My Best Friend

 July 15th, 2018, will be a day I will never forget. It was the day I brought home my best friend. Who was this best friend you may ask? She was a small, smart, fiery,  and cuddly female golden retriever named Charlotte. She would transform my life in the next few years as my companion. 

A few months prior I was feeling lonely. Having struggled with the large weight of clinical depression. I had always wanted a dog as a companion. A furry animal that would love me and make me smile when no one else could. Regardless, I was worried it wasn't the right time. Where would I have it sleep? What would it eat? How would I pay for the vet bills? Would I be well enough to take care of it? These were the pressing question in my mind. Previously I had fostered a dog through an animal shelter that prepared and strengthened my want and love of dogs. Pulling me towards having a best friend of my own.

What I did not know, is that while I was still dreaming of having a furry companion, Charlotte, referred to as Charlie, was born on May 28th, 2018. A few weeks later, while on a phone call with my fiance, I expressed just how lonely and sad I was each day. My longing for a friend who was always by my side and to make me up in the morning was overwhelming. With tears in my eyes, we had both decided that day that I needed to get a dog. That day I contacted a local Facebook group inquiring about puppies. I was contacted by the owner of Charlie's mom and found that this owner only breeds her dogs because she wanted to give bits of happiness back into the world. She told me it was what her late son would have wanted if we were still alive. Before I knew it, I was traveling three hours south to meet these little golden nuggets and pick out one of my own. 

I will never forget the first time I meet Charlie. She was the first little puppy to come up to me to get held. After being held in my arms, she promptly fell asleep. As to say "I am home". She was the littlest of the 12 siblings, the runt. Known to be the one that constantly wanted to be around humans and wanted to get attention. Although I tried to pick up other puppies, I was drawn to her laid back spirit. It was decided then, she was mine! 

Then came the wonderful day of July 15th, 2018. We had arranged to meet halfway for the pick up of Charlie. I had the kennel, food, treats, vet visits, and gates all set up and ready to go. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new addition to my family. The car ride there felt as if it flew by. We arrived at the meeting place and waited with anticipation for the owner to arrive. The owner arrived in a truck ten minutes later and promptly laid Charlie on the grass. Charlie, looking up with her ear perked, ran full force to greet me. The car ride was met with naps and cuddles all the way back to her new home. On the ride home I cried because this was always something I wanted. 

I will never forget this day because it is one of the best decisions of my life. Charlie became my companion, best friend, and she really did save me from myself. She is there whenever I need her to be. Every day following I am so glad we chose each other. It is now more than two years since that wonderful day. Charlie and I can now be found spending all our days together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment