Saturday, September 19, 2020

4.6, Mama's Meatloaf Magic

My mama’s meatloaf was nothing special. Her go-to recipe was the “basic meatloaf” out of a church cookbook circa 1986. Yet, as an easy fix for a hectic night, her meatloaf quickly became a staple in our household.

Our family meatloaf had its quirks—its surface was only half-ketchupped to accommodate my sister’s hatred of it and the onion was only as chopped as my mom had the patience for. Beyond that, however, it was as standard as loaves of meat come. Paired with a side of peas, mashed potatoes, and cut-up raw carrots, my mom had a guaranteed favorite meal for my sisters and me. 

The meatloaves I’ve tried since moving out of her house nine years ago have never compared to her no-nonsense version. Imposter meatloaves often add too much sugar or salt or ruin it with some “unique” addition. After one too many disappointing meatloaves, I decided to take matters into my own hands and recreate my mom’s meatloaf magic, down to the half-ketchupped detail.

Find the full recipe for this Alberg-Cole family classic below. 

Basic Meatloaf Recipe

Pro tip from Mama Alberg: Take off any rings and mix your ingredients by hand. Be sure not to overmix or your meat will become tough.

Ingredients

  • 1½ lbs 85% lean ground beef
  • ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • ⅓ cup ketchup, plus enough to drizzle on top
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 egg

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
  3. Press the mixture lightly into a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan.
  4. Optional: Drizzle ketchup on top.
  5. Bake at 350° F for one hour.
  6. Let stand for 5 minutes then serve.


2 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    I really like the your header is it really catchy. Also I like how you combined the ordered and the unordered list. Some of the best recipes are taken from the old church cook books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I really liked the tip about taking off the rings cause I know that's something I also do whenever I'm cooking. Good uses of lists both ordered and unordered. They both served their purpose well.

    ReplyDelete