Wednesday, September 30, 2020

6.6 Ancient Ruins and Sapphire Waters.

Breathtaking views, historical sights, what more could a girl want?

I've always had a fascination with beautiful, sunny destinations like tropical islands. The idea of being able to wake up the sound of waves on the beach and a warm breeze always appealed to me. This is likely due to the strike contrast island living has with living in the American Midwest. I've been to the coast a few times sure, but the chance to visit an island paradise seems like an absolute dream to me. My friends and I were even planning on taking an island trip earlier this year but unfortunately had to cancel due to the current health crisis. It's okay though, it gives us a chance to save up for an extra special trip, now we just have to decide where to go. 

Now, there is no shortage of beautiful islands to visit, the state of Hawaii alone could fit the bill and would not even require a passport. Yet I've always loved the idea of visiting another country, preferably one with a culture a little different than our own, particularly one with a lot of history. So for my dream location, I would most likely pick the Caribbean country of Belize. 
Pier in Placencia, Belize
Pier View in Placencia, Belize
Belize has just about everything I could possibly want in a vacation destination: 
  • Gorgeous beaches
  • Clear waters
  • Oceanic activities
      • Warm weather 
It even has
      • Ancient ruins and
      • Diverse rainforest
So no matter what I end up being in the mood for while on the trip, I know I can find something to make it memorable. Just as importantly my friends would be able to find something they enjoy as well, which is great as we tend to have different ideas on what our "ideal" vacation is. So picking a place with equal opportunity for fun and relaxation would be perfect for us. 

Ancient Ruins and Colonial History

https://search.creativecommons.org/photos/f65f6724-fdd8-4d0d-a487-41402f095143
Ruins in Belize
I love studying history in my spare time(when I'm not doing one of my other dozen hobbies) and although ancient history is usually not my forte, the ability to visit the ruins of a culture like the Mayans would be amazing, and there seems to be no shortage of them in Belize. Between the Mayan civilization and its history as a British colony, Belize has a lot of history and it's government system even mimics that of the United Kingdom, in no small part due to only recently gaining their independence. I think it would be interesting to visit a society that didn't entirely reject the system set up by the British Empire, but rather adopted their own version.

Conservation

Addmidetly, not the first thing one thinks of when deciding on where to visit, but it is difficult to ignore the impact humans have had on marine wildlife in recent years. This would usually make me wary of being a tourist in an area with so much nature, as high tourism and high population density can be detrimental to forests and wildlife. The Belize government seems to understand this, however, because they have strict conservation laws in place to minimize the damage to their local climate. Just last year they expanded on the areas 
https://search.creativecommons.org/photos/470ae26b-3ee7-45cb-9767-25f0547ffc99
Fish in Belize
of protected marine life, more information available here. This is crucial for both their local population and their tourism industry, as a big draw to the area is their ocean views and scuba diving experience. 

Not Sure I'd Ever Leave

My biggest struggle at the end of every vacation I take is forcing myself to leave. Usually, I fall in love with the place halfway through the trip, with only my work and family obligations (and lack of funds) pulling me back home. I'm sure Belize would be no exception, in fact, my friends and family would not be surprised if I started trying to move there the second we arrive. Between beautiful sights, a rich history, and strong conversation efforts, I might just fall in love with it at first sight. 















1 comment:

  1. Hey Gabrielle!
    Good use of an unordered list! The images used really compliment the posting. And your use of bolding makes the headlines easy to find and read.

    Great job!!
    Tamsyn H.

    ReplyDelete