Wednesday, September 30, 2020

6.6 My Perfect Day in Rome, From Dawn to Dusk

My Perfect Day in Rome, From Dawn to Dusk

What a dream to eat gelato on cobblestone streets,  stand amongst breathtaking architecture, and feel inspired by the history of life that stands before you. This dream is Rome. If I am ambitious enough to dream of such a place, I will make an ambitious itinerary to match. 


This is my perfect day in Rome from dawn to dusk. 


06:00 A.M.

I’d begin my day by watching the sunrise at Piazza Navona, a public square where I can sit on a bench and watch the sunrise slowly illuminate both the buildings and the people.  As locals and tourists bustle by, I would ruffle through my pocketbook of Italian translations, preparing myself for a day of adventure. 

Flickr Piazza Novana           Piazza Navona

08:00 A.M.

Food is the language we all love and know, I speak it fluently myself. Therefore, a Roman bakery is where I’d find myself next. Starting the day with a baked bun, golden to perfection, and cup of dark roast coffee steaming in my hand, I’d be ready to walk around the plaza exploring all the nooks and crannies it has to offer. 


12:00 P.M.

With a quick train ride from Rome to Vatican City, I’d be able to view the breathtaking artwork in the Sistine Chapel. My next stop would be to the Gardens of Vatican City for a breath of fresh air. I’d get the chance to see the beauty of ancient statues amidst the new life of the beautiful green space. 

Wikimedia Commons Vatican Gardens           Gardens of Vatican City

2:00 P.M

Going back into the city, my historical pursuits continue to the heart of Rome at the Colosseum. This would truly  be a sight to behold as I would be standing in the presence of history.  Within a short walk, I would find myself at other historical markers such as the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, architecture that has withstood the test of time, leaving me breathless. I believe the Italian actor Alberto Sordi said it best, "Rome is not like any other city. It's a big museum, a living room that shall be crossed on one's toes."


4:00 P.M.

Dinner would be my next conquest of the night. I could have nothing other than the world famous Roman perfection on a plate; pasta. Fresh tomatoes, basil straight from the garden, and homemade pasta noodles, served from a small family owned restaurant with candlelit seating would be a perfect space to reflect on the beauty I had witnessed that afternoon around Rome.


06:00 P.M.

I would love to find myself at no other place than the Trevi Fountain at sunset. To toss a coin into the beautiful fountain and make a wish to be whisked away by a young Italian man on a moped, would be the quintessential way to start my night in Rome. In the words of Lizzie McGuire, beloved tween idol of the mid 2000's, "This is what dreams are made of."

Flickr Trevi Fountain           Trevi Fountain


8:00 P.M.

To end the night, I may be lactose intolerant, but ‘when in Rome,’ I must try the gelato. A frozen delight to cut through the heat of the night is exactly what I’d need after a long day of traveling.  


I would like to hope the dream of traveling to Rome isn’t too far off. In the meantime, checkout my Instagram and Facebook pages to see more travel related content!

No comments:

Post a Comment