Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Best Vegan Recipe No One Has Told You About

    With the current Covid-19 pandemic going on, many of us can no longer enjoy the luxuries of going out to eat as we used to. This has been the case with me. I have never been much of a cook, and this pandemic has allowed me to learn to be more self-sufficient as it relates to my diet. Thankfully, my roommate is a chef extraordinaire, constantly trying out new vegan recipes. Every day, I wake up to the smell of new creations in our apartment. One of my favorite recipes she has shown me is for an authentic, vegan bean salad, and I would love to share the recipe for it.

  To begin, you will need:

  • 2 Cucumbers
  • 1 Can of chickpeas
  • 1 Green pepper
  • 1 Avocado
  • 1 Cup of grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 Onion
  • 1 Teaspoon of lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon of red-wine balsamic vinaigrette 
  • 1 Teaspoon of salt
  • 1 Teaspoon of pepper
  • 1 Teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 1 Cup of freshly-cut cilantro
  • 1 Teaspoon of mild chili powder
  • 1 Large mixing bowl
  • 1 Large wooden spoon

  Once you have collected your ingredients, you are ready to begin! On average, this dish takes 10-15 minutes to prepare. This salad typically feeds 3-4 people. If needed, adjust the recipe proportionally to accompany more guests. It is important to follow these steps to ensure the spices are blended with each ingredient accordingly. Let's begin!

  1. Start by draining your chickpeas in a strainer over your sink, and place them into a large bowl
  2. Next, chop your cucumbers into quarter-inch slices and place them into the bowl
  3. Then, cut your avocado in half, remove the seed, and scrape the contents of the avocado into your bowl
  4. Next, dice half of your onion and place the contents into the bowl
  5. Afterward, cut your green pepper into thin, long strips and dice them. Place the contents inside your bowl
  6. Next, chop your cup of grape tomatoes and place them into the bowl
  7. Then, chop one cup worth of cilantro, and place into a bowl
  8. After all your solids are placed into the bowl, it is time to place your wet ingredients into the bowl. Start by adding your teaspoon of lime juice
  9. Then, add one tablespoon of olive oil
  10. Next, add one tablespoon of red-wine balsamic vinaigrette
  11. After all of your wet ingredients are added to the bowl, it's time to add your spices. Start by adding one teaspoon of salt
  12. Next, add one teaspoon of pepper
  13. Then, add one teaspoon of garlic powder
  14. Lastly, add one teaspoon of mild chili powder
  15. Once all your ingredients are added to the bowl, stir thoroughly with a large wooden spoon
  16. After the ingredients are stirred, let the bowl sit in the fridge for 20 minutes
  17. When 20 minutes are over, remove the bowl and enjoy

  The salad is acceptable to eat on its own; however, most people enjoy eating the Mexican bean salad with tortilla chips. I love this recipe because it is quick, easy, and healthy for the college student on the go! Also, if you live alone, this is a great recipe for meal planning throughout the week, as the salad stays fresh for up to one week while properly covered. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.


1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I wish I could see who published this, but I can't see a name tied to this blog.

    Your recipe sounds AMAZING! I will surely be trying it soon and making my hubby help me chop and combine ingredients.

    You did a good job with the lists. I think listing the ingredients as a bulleted list and the steps as a numbered list is very smart (I did the same).

    One thing I would have liked would be the addition of headings. The post was a bit hard to read because your list and content became smushed together. Headings would have created more flow and let the reader know what was coming up next!

    ReplyDelete