Wednesday, September 9, 2020

3.4 Apparently, Some People Laugh When They’re Scared. Apparently I'm One of Them.

 

The weather prediction was for storms that day as my family and I climbed into my brother-in-law’s boat from the dock on the shore of Lake Wissota. The sky was blue and the breeze was gentle, which was enough to lure us onto the water for some tubing and skiing despite the forecast.  

After an hour or so of fun, we motored the boat next to others on the sandy shores of an island and pulled out the grill to make BLT sandwiches for lunch. Just as each of us climbed out, (four adults and two young children) someone spotted a very definite funnel cloud restlessly bobbing up and down directly above us. We made the frantic decision to jump back into the boat and head a short way to land, realizing that a small island is not a safe place to be during a tornado.

The sirens sounded and other people on the island began pointing at the sky. I was struck with terror as my husband lifted my two young boys back into the boat. As I turned to get into the boat myself, I realized the boat was resting in the sand rather than in the water and much too high for me to jump back in. I began giggling, and I COULD. NOT. STOP!

"What is your problem?!" my brother-in-law demanded. My mind and my limbs suddenly were not my own. I knew that we desperately needed to leave so that we could get to safety. My boys, three and eight years old, stared at me in confusion as they read the urgent cues of the other adults and mine didn’t match. I just kept giggling. Gratefully, my husband essentially grabbed me and hauled me into the boat and we dashed back to land.

I can’t explain it, but I guess it is a thing. It is helpful to know I’m not the only one.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/69830/why-do-we-laugh-when-were-scared

There are various thoughts scientists have about the causes of laughter when we’re scared. One of those, which seems appropriate in my case, is a result of feeling that we may be overwhelmed by our emotions in a particular situation. Thankfully, this incredibly bizarre response hasn’t happened again to me and my level-headedness remains.

It's a humorous story now, and I won’t ever forget that day. Realistically though, even if it did slip from my memory my family won’t ever let it die…’ the day mom couldn’t get a grip’.

No comments:

Post a Comment