Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Knocking on Stranger's Doors? 3.4

 

Imagine this, you decide to start a house painting business with no experience, equipment, and its the beginning of February. This is the scenario I found myself in at the beginning of the craziness in 2020.

Trading my Normal Life to Chase my Business Vision

 I signed up for an internship where they gave me a real-life business experience of owning my own painting business. Before I ventured out on this new journey, I needed to establish my why. 

"Why am I dedicating six months of my life and missing out on summer fun for this business vision?" 

I frequently would ask myself questions like the one above weeks leading up to the start. It eventually clicked, and I wrote this in my journal,

I was tired of not following through with what I said and to prove to myself and others that I can do spectacular things. 

The day that I won't ever forget is the first day on the job, knocking on doors from 9am until dark. Leads are the lifeblood of any business. Without leads, a small business will die. For a business like house painting, the best marketing tactic is going straight the source, OG style; door to door marketing. 

I thought I was prepared, I practiced my sales pitch, got up early, and dressed like a typical college student. But when I knocked on my first door and someone actually answered, I froze (figuratively and actually it was cold out there). I forgot half my pitch, and the person who answered probably thought I was a weirdo. But, I was way too determined to let that interaction get to me. I mean the day just started right? 

After a few more interactions at the door, I started to gain confidence in talking with homeowners. Soon after that, I started getting them interested in the free interior/exterior estimate I was offering. I was seeing some success, but there were so many times throughout the day that I doubted my capability. 

There was one point where I was just driving around, dreading to keep going. 

Despite all of that, I carried on as I set a strong intention of earning 35 leads that opening weekend. 

As the sun went down that day and for the first time in a while, I saw myself achieving my goal. I saw myself becoming a leader and actually making things happen. This was a pinnacle point of my overall mentality and only the start of my business. At the end of the weekend, I hit 35 leads right on the dot. 

The moral of this story is that through goal setting, ambition, and determination, you can overcome any obstacle and actually make your dreams a reality. 

2 comments:

  1. Hunter, you don't need the heading twice and we don't indent in digital content. Also, there is a whole lot of extra space at the end of your post that should be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also remove you as the author because that shows up at the bottom of your post.

    ReplyDelete