Wednesday, September 9, 2020

3.4. A Night to Remember

December 31st, 2017. A night I will always remember as I got engaged to the love of my life as the clock struck midnight. The night was bitterly cold and the breeze froze the tears that streamed down my face as we both stood on the Barstow bridge in downtown Eau Claire. All I could do was furiously nod as Chais asked me to marry him, but due to the layers we were bundled up in thanks to it feeling like thirty below, he couldn't see my answer. 

"So, is that a yes?"

"Yes," I managed to say as the exploding fireworks behind us almost covered up my words.

Even though I had known about the potential proposal for the past week, I was still overcome with emotion as it happened. I had a hard time keeping that knowledge secret from Chais, and an even harder time keeping my anxiety in check as New Year's Eve approached. Throughout the evening as we had dinner then barhopped down Barstow, I was on edge. But all the nerves were worth it because it came with the knowledge that I would get to marry my best friend. And knowing that my other best friend punched Chais not once, but twice when he told her is equally as memorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment