Sunday, September 20, 2020

4.6 Mac 'n' Cheese with a Dash of Spice and Everything Nice

Who doesn't love a classic bowl of mac and cheese? The best part about mac and cheese is that there are so many different ways to cook this common dish. This delicious pasta dish can be served cold or hot, as well as, with or without other added ingredients. I'm going to introduce you to a mac and cheese dish with an added little twist. Here is the story behind this "MACS" inspired dish. 


A couple of years ago my brother participated in an archery tournament in the Dells. Like a good sister, I traveled a few hours from Eau Claire to the Dells to show my support. Halfway through the day-long event, everyone involved in the tournament was allowed to leave for a lunch break. During the lunch break, we were driving around downtown in search of something new that we could try. We had come across a local restaurant called "MACS." This place amazed me. From the decor to the food, everything was impressive. They had every variation of mac and cheese imaginable served up in a cute little skillet, including a variety of cute little dessert skillets. I had tried the "loaded baked potato" skillet in the "mac daddy" size. The food was so mouthwateringly good that I immediately went home and tried to recreate the delicious skillet that I had the pleasure of consuming that day. 


I don't own any skillets so I had to get creative with how I would go about cooking the dish. Preparing the dish any other way would create a different taste. However, that would be ok and was all part of the creative process. I knew from tasting the dish at the restaurant that I was going to need several ingredients:

  • Yukon potatoes
  • Bell peppers
  • Bacon
  • Mac and cheese
  • Heavy cream
  • Spices to taste


These would be the main ingredients. The quantities and extra seasonings would be up to experimentation and taste. I had decided that the potatoes would take the longest to cook so I started with those. I cubed them and proceeded to throw them in a pot of boiling water. I allowed them to boil about 15 minutes. In a separate pan, I began to fry up some bacon. This bacon was going to be crumbled over the top of the mac 'n' cheese so I had to cook each piece extra crispy. Then I started boiling the noodles. These would take about 10 minutes to cook. Then I began to sautee some bell peppers. Once the potatoes were mostly cooked; I drained the noodles, added them to the potatoes, and poured in some heavy cream. The first time I did this the dish came out a little bit dry and bland. I found out I like to put a little extra cream so that the noodles are more on the soupy side. Then I toss in some shredded mozzarella and cheddar and allow this to melt into the noodles. I found that salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder add good taste to this dish. Then finish the dish by throwing on the sauteed peppers and bacon followed by a dollop of sour cream on top if you're into that. Voila, "mac and cheese with a dash of spice and everything nice." 


I couldn't share any of the exact measurements used. The ingredients had been eyeballed to taste. However, no matter who will decide to recreate this dish, adding way too much cheese is a requirement. Only then will the dish have reached piqued perfection. Hope this variation of a classic dish is enjoyed by all who read this post! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grace! I really loved your recipe! Your unordered bulleted list of ingredients definitely served its purpose, and it made it easier for the reader to identify the key information within your post. However, I do think your post could have used a numbered, ordered list displaying the directions for preparing the dish, as it would have been easier to navigate than just one paragraph. But overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete