Wednesday, September 30, 2020

6.6, Temples and Tides: A Dream Vacation

Traveling abroad always feels surreal to me. After all the hours diving into a new travel book and loosely planning my vacation, I finally get to live it. Each day brings a new whirlwind of adventure—new sights, new landscapes, new foods—and my half-plans leave space for serendipity, leading me to experiences I never could’ve planned for. By the time I return home to my mundane reality, it all seems like a dream.

But then it’s time to plan the next trip.

Thailand has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. Photos of the country reveal lush landscapes, dreamy coastlines, and golden architecture. Friends who have visited recall a mix of adventure and cultural appreciation. All these details sound like the makings of a perfect trip to me.

Buddhist temples pepper the country, over 33,000 in fact, with each displaying their own architectural brilliance. While researching which of the many temples I should visit, one in particular jumped out at me: Wat Rong Khun, or the White Temple. 

Wat Rong Khun Temple
Wat Rong Khun

Built in 1997, this artist-designed temple is striking with its all-white exterior and intricate detailing. A bridge to the temple guides visitors over a pool of reaching arms that, according to Lonely Planet, symbolizes desire. Paintings inside the temple depict contemporary images, such as Hello Kitty and Keanu Reeves. While this modern temple doesn’t carry as much of Thailand’s rich history, it sure is attention-grabbing.

Thailand’s natural scenery holds up to its constructed beauty. Along the southern coastline, craggy, green cliffs give way to turquoise water, creating awe-inspiring sights and opportunities for sea adventures. Koh Tapu, pictured below, is one of these sights. Popularized by a James Bond movie, this precarious-looking island is known to many as "James Bond Island."

Koh Tapu
Koh Tapu

While planning my dream vacation to Thailand, however, it is important to consider how my presence may negatively impact the country. As an American, I possess ample privilege when traveling. It is up to me to ensure that I do so responsibly and respectfully. There are four factors of conscious tourism I always consider when preparing for a trip.

Planning Ahead: Conscious Tourism

  • Research cultural norms. Avoid faux pas by learning more about the day-to-day culture. Some innocuous gestures in America may be considered rude elsewhere.
  • Avoid animal tourism. Many tourist activities involving elephants, tigers, and monkeys mistreat their animals, even if they’re promoted as “sanctuaries.” If you’d like to interact with these animals, conduct thorough research on ethical practices and organizations.
  • Look for less-populated destinations. Popular tourist destinations are often overcrowded, which can lead to environmental destruction. For instance, Thailand’s Maya Bay was indefinitely closed to tourists in 2018 after an influx of partiers destroyed 80% of its coral reef. When planning your trip, consider which tourist attractions you’re willing to skip in favor of something lesser-known.

Equal parts of daydreaming and preparation make an enjoyable trip for me. Add in natural beauty and cultural sights, and I have a dream vacation. What sights and experiences are important for you to consider when planning a trip? Do you prefer the beach or sightseeing? Lounge or adventure?

In other words, Thailand is my dream vacation - what’s yours?

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I love this. You have a formatted list, links, beautiful photos, bolded words, headers. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! You have one unordered list. Bolded important words, pictures of what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete