Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The Great Day That Turned Traumatic


The greatest day ever turned into a traumatic day instantly. It was a warm summer night in 2009. My friend Katie and I decided we were going to spend the night hopping around bars in Downtown Minneapolis after spending the day relaxing in her pool. When we made plans for the evening, we did not anticipate being forced out of the club into active shooting.

As the white overhead lights went on, you could see a swarm of sweaty, overheated individuals begin heading for the exit. The heard was funneling through the doors rather quickly this evening when all of a sudden it stopped.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

The heard tried re-entering the club upon the pops of the gunshots. However, a club security guard was determined to go home. He continued to push the patrons out of the club.

"No! No! No! Big Daddy they're shooting," one patron pleaded to the club security.

"The bar is closed. You need to go," Big Daddy responded with minimal empathy.

Fortunately, my friend Terry had been at the club that night. Terry worked as a police officer for a local department. That night he finished his shift and headed straight for the club.

As Katie and I were exiting the club Terry guided us, "I have my gear on. Stay behind me." He was still wearing his bullet proof vest. He guided us across the street toward the parking ramp while he maintained focused on the shooters.

Katie and I went to the Gay 90's every Sunday night. We would have fun socializing with others and dancing all night. We wouldn't leave until the lights came on and the club security guard was pushing us out the door. Many of those nights when we would leave, Downtown was quite. A few cars would be traveling along Hennepin Avenue. Some bar-goers would be stumbling down the sidewalk. However, it was rare to see conflict at this time of night.

Katie, Terry, and I survived the shooting uninjured. I am unsure of how this affected Katie and Terry because we lost touch of the years. However, I have been traumatized since. Any loud banging noise raises my anxiety. I can no longer enjoy fireworks like I used to.

1 comment:

  1. Dustin, in digital writing, we NEVER indent. Space is a commodity and indenting is consider a waste.

    ReplyDelete